Unless you have Celiac Disease (I have plenty of patients who do) or have a true wheat allergy (which is rare), you do not need to avoid wheat. Our bodies have evolved over tens of thousands of years to digest and process wheat. Wheat is a main source of many B vitamins which are essential for good health, with thiamin and riboflavin being essential for memory and brain function.
Bread should have good flour, preferably unbleached, water, yeast and salt if you like (Tuscan bread is made without salt and is delicious). The gluten that is developed in the dough undergoes a conformational change when baked making it more difficult for the human gut to absorb. Evolution has already done this for us. We just messed things up by adding gluten to everything and turning it from food, which should be fresh, into a commodity to sit on shelves for convenience.
So, EAT REAL BREAD. I’m sure there are bakers where you live who are following this noble tradition which has fed the world for ages. Or try the recipe below and become a fresh bread baker yourself!
Dr. Reeta’s No Knead Bread
a Hurricane Harvey Recipe
• Dutch oven with lid
• Large mixing bowl
• Patience :)
• 3 Cups artisan bread flour
• 2 tsp kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
• 1-1/2 Cups warm water
1. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients. Add water and mix completely to form a shaggy dough. Cover with plastic wrap and set at room temperature or proof setting in oven for 10 hours.
2. Preheat oven with uncovered Dutch oven inside to 450 degrees for 30 minutes.
3. While the oven is preheating, place dough on floured surface and form into a round and allow to rest for 30 minutes covered with plastic wrap.
4. Carefully place dough into hot Dutch oven, cover with lid and bake 20 minutes.
5. Remove Dutch oven lid and continue to bake another 12-18 minutes until crust is a golden
6. Remove loaf from oven and cool. Enjoy!